We all love to think of our canine friends as being “just like us”. Sadly, the reality is very different. Just because your beloved pooch is an expert at persuading you to hand over snacks, it doesn’t mean they are good for him. In fact, some of the foods you eat are positively dangerous for your dog (see www.petconsider.com for more details). There are also plenty of innocuous household items that are harmful to dogs, so if you have a doggy companion sharing your life and home, read this article to find out more.

Flowers that are dangerous for dogs

Royalty Free Photo

Chocolate

Chocolate in any form is poisonous for dogs. Chocolate contains caffeine, which is a poison all on its own. It also contains theophylline and theobromine, which when ingested can cause vomiting and diarrhea, and if left untreated it can damage your pet’s heart and central nervous system. So keep your dog away from the Christmas Chocolates and Easter Eggs.

Grapes and Raisins

Many pet owners are blissfully unaware of how toxic grapes and their dried cousins, raisins, are. Grapes and raisins cause kidney and liver failure when ingested. It only takes a handful of grapes and raisins to kill a dog, so don’t let them have any.

Yeast

Yeast causes gas as it ferments. If your dog eats some raw dough, the yeast will ferment in his tummy and cause major gas problems. In large amounts, it could actually kill him.

Onions

Onions are deadly poisonous to dogs. It doesn’t matter whether the onion is raw, dried, cooked, powdered or contained in another food, it’s highly toxic. Onions contain thiosulphate and disulphides, which damage red blood cells and cause anemia.

Tobacco

Tobacco is very poisonous to dogs. OK, so you probably wouldn’t want your pet eating your packet of cigarettes anyway, but just to be on the safe side, don’t leave your tobacco lying around. Nicotine is harmful enough to us, but when ingested by a dog, it causes major damage to the digestive system and if left untreated, it will kill your pet.

Flea and Tick Products

Fleas and ticks are a menace to canines and their human owners, so it is understandable that we want to do everything possible to prevent them from infesting our pets. There are plenty of products on the market that are designed to eradicate fleas and ticks, but what you need to know is that these products can be highly toxic if ingested or too much is applied. To prevent problems, always read the instructions and never be tempted to give your pet more than the recommended dose.

Daffodils

Daffodils are a popular spring plant. With their bright yellow flowers, daffodils look gorgeous in a nice vase on the table, but did you know that this attractive yellow flower could hurt your dog? Daffodil bulbs are very toxic to dogs and when eaten can cause serious stomach problems, increased heart rate and convulsions. Bulbs are not terribly appetizing, but some greedy dogs may be tempted to have a nibble if you leave one lying around.

If you suspect your dog has eaten something poisonous, call your vet immediately.

Save

Save

Save

Filed under: Dog Care

Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!