Which Harness Is Right for Your Dog?
A lot of people prefer a dog harness to a collar. People don’t want their dogs to look awful, which means that they want to pick a dog harness that looks good as well.
While harnesses now come in a range of different designs, functionality will always be more important than the look. Luckily, one doesn’t exclude the other anymore. You do have to think, however, about what kind of harness will be most suitable for your dog. You also have to think about your personal budget. Let’s take a look at some important things to consider.
What Type of Harness Do You Need?
A few questions need answering before you can figure out what type of harness you actually need:
- Do you have a male or a female dog? This will also help you to determine the color a little bit.
- Does your dog like swimming? If they do, then you should stay away from leather and opt for a nylon harness.
- Do you go for very long walks with your dog and do they pull? Or do you have a dog that is very gentle on a walk? This will help you to determine the strength of the harness you need, and whether you need anti-pulling technology.
- Does your dog have sensitive skin?
- What sort of fur does your dog have?
- Will you also strap your dog down in the car when they wear their harness? If so, do you take very long trips or are they relatively short? In this case, you need to make sure that your dog’s comfort and safety are both paramount.
- Do you expect the harness to get dirty? If so, make sure you choose something that is machine washable.
Last but not least, you need to make sure that you get the right size. Most harnesses are measured by the dog’s girth, so make sure you measured your dog with a flexible measuring tape first. You can also use a piece of string and then measure your string.
How Much Can You Spend?
You also need to think about your budget. While we all want the best for our dogs, the reality is that we can’t always afford the priciest items. That is not to say that cheaper harnesses are of lesser quality. Quality and safety are more important, and you can get harnesses from about $10 that meet those needs, or you can pay hundreds for them.
If you are on a budget, then consider shopping online. This is because they generally offer cheaper options due to the fact that they don’t have as many overhead costs.
As you can see, buying a harness for your dog isn’t rocket science, but there are quite a lot of things that you have to think about. Once you receive it, make sure your dog is comfortable in it. It may take your dog a few weeks to get use to the harness, so don’t discard it straight away just because they don’t take to it immediately.
Filed under: Dog Supplies
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!